Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Almost ready to launch!

This can't be good for me!

What you don't see in this picture is the probably lethal amount of bottom paint dust that the mask didn't prevent me from inhaling. Sanding the bottom of a racing sailboat is much more than cosmetic...it's an art form. If you want your boat to gain that crucial tenth of a knot advantage in a close race, you have to basically burnish the hard, copper-based anti-fouling paint on the hull to a mirror sheen.

I'm not that obsessive about it (yet), but I did make sure I put a nice finish on the wetted surface. When I invariably do poorly in races this season, at least I won't be able to blame the condition of the hull on it!

We'll probably have some room for extra crew this season, so if you're interested in racing with us, drop me a line at sailfulltilt#yahoo.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home