Sunday, June 08, 2008

Port Jeff weekend

Yesterday we took Full Tilt over to PJ for our first weekend getaway of the season. Temps topped 90 degrees for the first time this year, so the breeze on the water really felt good.

Joyce reads her book on the cabin top while the autohelm steers the boat. I'm fiddling with my camera (obviously).

Early Sunday, day breaks around 4:45AM. I woke up to get a drink of water and saw the amazing colors in the sky, so I grabbed the camera and fired off a quick shot, then went back to sleep until after 8AM.

Heading out of the channel we had to deal with the usual congestion. Here, a 32-foot sailboat is dwarfed by a barge coming in. Port Jeff is a busy harbor.

Joyce steers us out towards the Sound. A constant 10-15 kt breeze out of the SW made it an easy trip most of the way home. Our palm tree works as a wind vane.

The skipper working on his tan, in his goofy hat.

As we approached Connecticut, clouds began building in the west. Knowing that this kind of heat and humidity often spawns thunderstorms, we began to prepare.

About 2 miles south of Charles I., with thunder rumbling in the distance, we dropped the sail, got our foulies and life vests on, and battened down the boat. Just as we finished, it started raining. The wind picked up to the mid-20's, and as we entered the Gulf, the rain began pouring down and the wind gusted up.

We began circling, as it was too dangerous to enter the harbor. The rain stung our faces as the winds topped 45 kts., but I wasn't keeping a close eye on it at the time so it may have gusted higher. I only wish I had a waterproof housing for my camera, because the sea looks awesome when it gets whipped up like that. But I was just happy it was manageable and the rain wasn't freezing cold.

The squall passed, and we motored up the harbor in between storms. We unloaded the boat and got home before a second, but smaller squall began. Fun time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home