Sunday, June 25, 2006

Commodore's Cup non-race

Wet and calm. Like, REAL wet and DEAD calm.

J.R. helms us while it rains. Intermittent light to moderate rain was falling, and the cloud deck was hovering around 50 feet for most of the afternoon.

Joyce again was trying to prevent a gybe, but this time around the non-wind was coupled with torrential rain.

The skipper always has to get his mug on camera.

Joyce helms us into the harbor in a drenching downpour.

The picture I didn't take was the one of our GPS showing 5.4 knots under sail in the pouring rain about 15 minutes after the Race Committee decided to call the race. I can't really blame them, because they waited a full two hours before calling it, and there was no gaurantee that when the wind came up it would stay up.

But just for fun we ran from the #4 Nun to the Welches Point Nun and back twice under sail, with up to 11 knots of apparent wind showing on the wind meter. It was pretty slow going directly downwind, though.

Kevin and Jaser did a good job as RC, and the Commodore's Kegger was a rainy day party that was great fun, except for my wet socks.

2 Comments:

At 6/27/2006 12:02 PM, Blogger SailRacer said...

I drove down from NYC and sat in the J-29 out there, Wasabi, catching up with old friends and eating cookies. It wasn't all bad - I had skipped work the day before to race on J24s.

Man oh man, I feel ya. Lots of rain. No wind. One person on watch to make sure we didn't drift into another competitor.

Full tilt is one of the prettiest J-30's I've seen. My dad had me looking out for ya as he reads CTBob loyaly.

Cheers!

Toby (Wasabi Crew)

 
At 6/27/2006 3:27 PM, Blogger CT Bob said...

Hey Toby, thanks for the nice words!

Yeah, I felt bad watching you guys forlornly motor away into the mist. I guess there has to be at least one race a year like that!

Bob

 

Post a Comment

<< Home